House Hunting Tips
The process of finding your desired property can be very stressful. It can be an exciting time, but it can also be frustrating and disappointing when a house you thought was "the one" is not all it was made out to be. Below is a list of tips that will help in your search and hopefully take some of the stress out of finding your dream home.
- Be proactive. Keep in regular contact with estate agents so you are first to know about properties recently put on the market. Don't be afraid to "pester" them to get the job done.
- List all the things you want in the new property. Divide the list into essentials and desirables and refer to it when viewing houses.
- Research the area you want to live in properly. Remember you can change a house, but not the neighbourhood.
- View as many properties as possible because a small number will not give a proper indication of what is on the market.
- Take in as much as possible about each property. Consider making notes and taking pictures. Perhaps take someone you trust with you and ask them for an honest opinion.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions about the property.
- Be aware of selling tricks. Nice smells such as freshly-baked bread or freshly-brewed coffee are designed to make the house more appealing. Are they keen for you to come at a particular time of day? Has any furniture been moved to give the impression of space? View everything with as critical an eye as possible.
- Avoid houses that have been on the market for a long time - there is usually a reason. Even if you love the property, it may prove difficult to sell.
- Be sure about the house. Go and see any properties you like more than once and at different times of day. This will give you a better feel for the house.